Skip to main content

Untouchability in the name of "eligibility"

Summary: Why Indian government's eligibility criteria sucks...

How do you want our policemen look?
1. Like an actor?
2. Tall and chesty?
3. Ability to match dots and dots to solve puzzle?

If that's your preference, then our government's criteria rocks, otherwise it sucks. Look at the eligibility chart published by Tamil Nadu police. It may look sane for those who're already swallowed by the crazy system. Otherwise, it's extremely crazy. I don't know, if Veerappan had necessary chest; but he really rocked every chesty policemen! In the world of pistols, are these things really matters--especially the height??

And, the "age". Why can't they fix the retirement age to 35 then? In other words, why the "criteria" is only for the "entry"?

Someone told me that they ask puzzles and "joining dots" type of questions in IPS examinations. Are they going to solve puzzle or crimes?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Zend (PHP 5) Certified Engineer:-)

As of January 13, 2007, I'm ZCE/ Zend Certified Engineer (PHP 5)

Stampede and the "Dirty" "Dark" Crowd

Actor Ajith Kumar’s recent interview has sparked quite a few conversations on social media. The part that caught my attention, was his take on crowds. About 30 years ago, when I first joined a college in Madurai after growing up in other places, I experienced a few cultural shocks. Perhaps these weren’t unique to Madurai, but that’s where I first noticed them. One major thing that stood out was the behavior of crowds. For instance, if you suddenly see people rushing to board a bus, chances are there’s a pickpocket in action. During one of Madurai's annual festivals, I noticed some young men carrying water bags — not to distribute water, but to spill it on women, often on their chests. Shockingly, this was almost normalized; parents would quietly tolerate it to avoid public embarrassment, walking a little farther behind the crowd. When some women happened to witness this, they would just shoo the boys away instead of confronting them. The crowd, in such cases, became a kind of...

Attraction, Status, and the Curious Pattern Behind Some Marriages

There has been a lot of discussion lately about celebrity divorces. As someone who closely observes human behavior, I have been thinking about a possible pattern behind some relationships. Before explaining my thought, I should mention something about my own background. From childhood, I was never particularly drawn to the idea of physical beauty. In fact, I even had a somewhat negative view of it. This may have come from the value systems around me while growing up. I also remember a religious gathering where someone said that a woman's beauty reflects her inner mind. Even at that time, I instinctively rejected that idea. Over the years, however, I have started noticing certain patterns in couples. When couples walk closely together, sit near each other, and interact affectionately in public, there often seems to be an interesting dynamic. In many such cases, the woman appears more attractive than the man. Sometimes she also seems more powerful in...