Skip to main content

Teachers' Kids: The Topper Syndrome

Tao Te Ching

Fill your bowl to the brim

and it will spill.

Keep sharpening your knife

and it will blunt.

Chase after money and security

and your heart will never unclench.

Care about people's approval

and you will be their prisoner.


Do your work, then step back.

The only path to serenity.

I have some intriguing theories about teachers' kids, and I've noticed a phenomenon I call "topper syndrome" in many of them. It seems that teachers, often due to their demanding schedules such as office politics, spend less time or prefer to spend less time with their own children. Consequently, they set vague goals for their kids, such as becoming the class topper or always winning first prizes.

In their early years, teachers often encourage their kids to showcase their normal or minimal talents, like memorizing sacred texts, in front of friends and family. This can build early confidence. Additionally, due to the influence these teachers have in their schools or communities, other educators might show bias, awarding higher marks to these children and further boosting their confidence.

However, what happens when these kids grow up, leave their familiar circles, and face the real world?

Stage 1: They strive to maintain their topper status. While some succeed, many struggle because the competition is now much broader.

Stage 2: They begin to complain about the "stage," or the teachers and judges who evaluate them.

Stage 3: They start seeking out smaller, more manageable environments where they can still excel. They might prefer smaller colleges or community groups where they can maintain their comfortable position as top performers.

Stage 4: They avoid challenges. For instance, if offered an easy job, they may reject it with vague excuses. When faced with tougher tasks, they find other reasons to decline.

Stage 5: Eventually, they may give up altogether.

My take on this is that parents should avoid flattering their children excessively. It's important to push kids out of their comfort zones, help them avoid the trap of being a perpetual "topper," and most importantly, appreciate their efforts rather than just their outcomes. By doing so, we can prepare them better for the real world, fostering resilience and a genuine sense of achievement.

Disclosure:

The following ChatGPT prompt is used in this blog post:

Please fix the language of the below text and highlight the changes in bold:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Zend (PHP 5) Certified Engineer:-)

As of January 13, 2007, I'm ZCE/ Zend Certified Engineer (PHP 5)

Stampede and the "Dirty" "Dark" Crowd

Actor Ajith Kumar’s recent interview has sparked quite a few conversations on social media. The part that caught my attention, was his take on crowds. About 30 years ago, when I first joined a college in Madurai after growing up in other places, I experienced a few cultural shocks. Perhaps these weren’t unique to Madurai, but that’s where I first noticed them. One major thing that stood out was the behavior of crowds. For instance, if you suddenly see people rushing to board a bus, chances are there’s a pickpocket in action. During one of Madurai's annual festivals, I noticed some young men carrying water bags — not to distribute water, but to spill it on women, often on their chests. Shockingly, this was almost normalized; parents would quietly tolerate it to avoid public embarrassment, walking a little farther behind the crowd. When some women happened to witness this, they would just shoo the boys away instead of confronting them. The crowd, in such cases, became a kind of...

Work avoiders on the rise

roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes --  80–20 rule / Pareto principle One popular store (that is known for its less selling price, 6-storied air-conditioned showroom) is situated to close to our home. But, Heleena is allergic to it. Reason? Even though there are at least 50 sales people per floor, only 1 or 2 people will be working and responding to the customers' queries. In another shop, I even noticed that the owner was serving customer when many staffs were cleverly avoiding the show! I'm finding the same problem everywhere. Who're affected here? Obviously the people who're actually working--they will have to handle more work that the clever people have avoided. Two common gestures/characteristics I have noted in these clever people: 1. They'll pretend to be absolute ignorant (These people's agenda are merely to avoid works, but not to take credits.), 2. They'll create politics on anything (These people's agenda ar...