Skip to main content

Mrs. Sujatha, Marriage, and Misunderstandings

I recently watched an interview featuring Mrs. Sujatha on the Aval Vikatan YouTube channel, and I couldn’t help but write this post in response.

In the video, she indirectly expresses regret about her relationship with the late writer Sujatha, implying that they lacked the kind of emotional bonding that today’s couples supposedly enjoy (?!). She also mentions that he would get angry at home, in contrast to his calm public persona. She suggests that they didn’t talk much—ironically, I vividly remember Sujatha’s own writing about the relationship between actress Shobha and Balu Mahendra, in which he quoted something his wife had said! Toward the end of the interview, she talks about the wealth and royalties he left behind, suggesting that material things don’t matter. (It’s ironic—men spend their entire lives working to build wealth and security for their wives and families.)

What struck me even more was the comment section. Most of the viewers seemed critical of writer Sujatha, echoing her sentiments without question. I found only one comment that suggested she might have misunderstood him.

This left me a bit shocked. Society often holds Brahmin women in high regard—considering them wise, grounded, and conservative. But perhaps that image doesn’t always align with reality. It seems to me that Tamil women, like all women, vary widely: some happily carry the weight of an entire household while married to alcoholic husbands, while others struggle to find peace even with loving, devoted partners. To me, this all points to one thing: the state of a person’s mental and emotional well-being plays a far bigger role in relationships than we often admit.

Though it might sound old-fashioned or even chauvinistic to some, the ancient proverb says: “A wise woman builds her home.”

I’m reminded of a conversation I had years ago when several of my friends were on the verge of getting married. During one discussion about an ideal bride, my friend Venkatesh said something that stuck with me:

“The only tangible thing you know about a girl is her beauty. Everything else can be misleading.”



Disclosure:

The following ChatGPT prompt is used in this blog post:

Please fix the language of the below text and highlight the changes in bold:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Zend (PHP 5) Certified Engineer:-)

As of January 13, 2007, I'm ZCE/ Zend Certified Engineer (PHP 5)

"PHP 5 Power Programming" Free in PDF

The book PHP 5 Power Programming is now available free of cost in downloadable PDF format at Bruce Perens' Open Source Series promotion site. Along with this book, a lot of other books are also available there for free! Details ISBN: 0-13-147149-X 2005. Pages: 720 Authors: Andi Gutmans , Stig Sæther Bakken , and Derick Rethans Download location: Perens Series Page (PDF) License: Open Publication License File size: 9.6MB Original price: $39.99 Edition: 2005

Open source PHP frameworks and problems

I was using CakePHP for sometime and proposed CakePlus , another UIMS toolkit on the top of CakePHP but also altering some problematic core of it. The thread should explain the outcome of the post. And, then I noted Akelos framework has most of the things built in. Issues with frameworks esp. CakePHP Scalability not a priority - Developers aren't aware that we can't throw more and more hardware Excessive use of regular expressions Evangelist isn't aware that the framework throws many queries unnecessarily More memory consumption - 100M would never be enough for a simple project Poor coding standards and practices - Prolong use of extract() often leads to more memory consumption Can't use the native approaches or baked codes. The override approach always lead to hard to debug codes Poor architected codes and no clear defined approaches. People belong to the cult drives the direction and often throws unprofiled codes. No native provision to share codes between M-V-C and...