Skip to main content

Shaping the Future: My Hopes and Dreams for My Children

I believe every parent has their own hopes for what their children might become, often shaped by personal experiences or insecurities. For instance, a janitor may wish for his child to achieve the success of his boss, and so on.

My aspirations for my children stem from my own life and career experiences. There were many things I wanted to pursue but couldn’t, for various reasons. Over the years, I’ve suggested career paths to others based on their talents, and some have succeeded to the extent I anticipated. This gives me confidence in my ability to foresee what might be best for someone.

For a long time, I’ve had ideas about my children’s future, and I want to put them in writing to see how things unfold.

In short, I have a positive view of the freelance economy and royalty-based work. Royalty-based careers are a dream for many—creating something once and earning from it for a lifetime.

I see similarities between Pillai and Heleena in how quickly they pick up new things. Pillai is a natural engineer—able to disassemble and reassemble unfamiliar objects with ease. She can also start a new game and master 80% of it on her first try. Thambi, on the other hand, is more like me. He might only grasp 10% of a new game at first, but with practice and persistence, he reaches 100% after a few days. My hope is that, together, they can complement each other and improve their chances of success.

Freelance and Royalty-Based Work as a Family Business

I think my kids can thrive if they focus on the following royalty models and work together:

  1. YouTube music and videos
  2. Developing iOS and Android apps, or even desktop or SaaS businesses
  3. Writing blogs, creating comics, or publishing books

Individual Career Aspirations

Our family comes from a legacy of white-collar employees, which could be demotivating for those with creative or unconventional ambitions.

Pillai

Like me, Pillai is quiet, and I worry that this might make her susceptible to being exploited or cornered. That’s why I’d like her to become an IPS officer, a role that commands respect and authority. Since she’s a natural engineer, I believe she could excel in engineering while simultaneously preparing for the IPS exam. Pillai is also talented in other areas—she’s achieved Trinity Grade 4 in piano and is skilled in painting. I think she needs time to explore these talents, which is why highly demanding education paths like NEET may not be the best fit for her.

Thambi

In an interview, actor Sivakumar once mentioned how he used to worry about actor Surya because his younger brother was always the smarter one. Similarly, whenever I think of Thambi, I feel a surge of emotion—he’s been innocent from the start. Even when he has to hit his sister, he does it gently, with care. Unlike most parents, Heleena doesn’t interfere when the kids argue; she believes they should resolve conflicts on their own, and I’ve never seen a mother quite like her. As a result, Thambi has developed a submissive nature and rarely complains. Heleena has also noticed his strong language skills. When I encouraged him to write blogs, he did so beautifully, though he often needs a little push. Heleena, however, is against pushing the kids, arguing that it can harm their mental well-being.

When I urged him to learn touch typing, his speed improved significantly. He has another unique trait—he loves learning history through YouTube videos and avoids content that isn’t rated for kids. I’ve often thought he’d make a good lawyer. Recently, I heard about a Justice Swaminathan who humorously reviewed few movies in his legal judgments. It made me think—Thambi, with his innocence, self-discipline, love of history, and fast, articulate writing, could one day excel as a judge. 


Disclosure:

The following ChatGPT prompt is used in this blog post:

Please fix the language of the below text and highlight the changes in bold:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Converting PSD with PHP/ImageMagick

After seeing feature rich options in Imagick PECL extension at Mikko Koppanen 's (the author) website and also impressed with ImageMagick 's features, I have decided to use it for the PSD to XHTML conversion website that I'm architecting and managing. Since, the team wants programming help for converting PSD images, I have tried it (documentation is sparse on PSD handling) Converting PSD to PNG/JPEG/etc Note that, flattenImages() is needed for layered/multi-page PSD file. <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->flattenImages(); $im->setImageFormat('png'); $im->writeImage('test.png'); ?> Extracting PSD layers One by one <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->setImageFormat('png'); for ($i = 0, $num_layers = $im->getNumberImages(); $i $im->setImageIndex($i); $im->writeImage('layer' . $i . '.png'); } ?> Note that, there is a better version below In a single call with writeIm...

Storing unicode texts in MySQL with phpMyAdmin

Today, I've received a personal mail/request from Sivanantham Hemamalini, working for IT leisure in Singapore. Since I was in company when received the mail, I couldn't answer immediately. If I understand the question right, it is about inputting Unicode texts especially Tamil in phpMyAdmin. PhpMyAdmin 's default characterset is iso-8859-1 and so if we enter anything in the form, browser will convert it into numerical html entities. Say for example, if we enter தமிà®´் and submit the form, it will convert it to & #2980;& #2990;& #3007;& #2996;& #3021; . Because of this browser's behavior, it will be difficult to store the Unicode text as it is. Solutions Immediate solution I could think of is changing or forcing the browser's character encoding into utf-8. In Mozilla Firefox, it can be set via View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8) Another elegant solution might be changing the phpMyAdmin configurations so that it send...

Beyond Groupon Now -- Street marketing platform in GroupDeal

Our team has developed GroupDeal, group buying software platform that powers many Groupon competitor sites. Being ours is the first and popular groupon clone in the market, our team introduced many new features. Like I already pointed out , we added self service merchant login in the first version itself and Groupon introduced the same feature--much later as Groupon 2.0. By August 2011, our team introduced another killer feature termed as "GroupDeal Live". It is more than Groupon's Groupon Now: It has street marketing ability. With it, merchants can create deals for the (sudden) crowd. By looking at merchant control panel, they can find the users around their shops and branches. The users are classified into Normal/Web Users and iPhone Users--and so, merchants can identify the new crowd. They can then create deals to attract the online crowd. The platform will be of huge help during any procession or sudden crowd in any branches. I hope, Groupon will adop...