Skip to main content

jQuery.favicon - jQuery plugin for adding favicons next to the links

It's easy to add little favicons next to all or external links using CSS's background properties:



a[href ^="http://jquery.com"] {
background: url(http://jquery.com/favicon.ico) center right no-repeat;
padding-right: 16px;
}



But, to automate that for all links in a page, I wrote a nifty jQuery plugin--favicon (posted to jQuery group).

Side note



I don't know of anyway to parse the domain name of a link using JavaScript and so thought of using RFC compliant regexp and had to write a PHP helper to import regexp in JavaScript:



<?php
// Generate JavaScript regexp for matching URL for getting host part
// set user agent; otherwise getting 403
ini_set('user_agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11');
echo str_replace(array(
"\n", // remove newline
'/', // escape / to \/
'?:' // remove--we really need mach
) , array(
'',
'\/',
''
) , file_get_contents('http://web.archive.org/web/20070302134659/foad.org/~abigail/Perl/url3.regex'));
?>

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Zend (PHP 5) Certified Engineer:-)

As of January 13, 2007, I'm ZCE/ Zend Certified Engineer (PHP 5)

Work avoiders on the rise

roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes --  80–20 rule / Pareto principle One popular store (that is known for its less selling price, 6-storied air-conditioned showroom) is situated to close to our home. But, Heleena is allergic to it. Reason? Even though there are at least 50 sales people per floor, only 1 or 2 people will be working and responding to the customers' queries. In another shop, I even noticed that the owner was serving customer when many staffs were cleverly avoiding the show! I'm finding the same problem everywhere. Who're affected here? Obviously the people who're actually working--they will have to handle more work that the clever people have avoided. Two common gestures/characteristics I have noted in these clever people: 1. They'll pretend to be absolute ignorant (These people's agenda are merely to avoid works, but not to take credits.), 2. They'll create politics on anything (These people's agenda ar...

Stampede and the "Dirty" "Dark" Crowd

Actor Ajith Kumar’s recent interview has sparked quite a few conversations on social media. The part that caught my attention, was his take on crowds. About 30 years ago, when I first joined a college in Madurai after growing up in other places, I experienced a few cultural shocks. Perhaps these weren’t unique to Madurai, but that’s where I first noticed them. One major thing that stood out was the behavior of crowds. For instance, if you suddenly see people rushing to board a bus, chances are there’s a pickpocket in action. During one of Madurai's annual festivals, I noticed some young men carrying water bags — not to distribute water, but to spill it on women, often on their chests. Shockingly, this was almost normalized; parents would quietly tolerate it to avoid public embarrassment, walking a little farther behind the crowd. When some women happened to witness this, they would just shoo the boys away instead of confronting them. The crowd, in such cases, became a kind of...