Skip to main content

Gen Y workforce, a threat to Indian IT?

I belong to Gen X. I'm noticing high change in the way of thinking and approaches of Gen Y (born after 1982 or 1985) workforce. Whenever I sit for interviews, I feel getting quite old...

Characteristics of Gen Y (as I noted)




  • Freshers


    • Everybody owns mobile phones and laptop. At least using them for 2-years. Only very few people know touch typing.

    • Almost all are interested to start their career in programming; but they don't have any basic knowledge.

    • Most of the people can speak in English. I'm noticing a huge change here; In our generation, many people would be having good programming skill but can't express them in English

    • People from CS aka Computer Science background says that they don't use computer labs as they own laptop. I can remember my college days at The American College, Madurai during my PGDCA and MCA--we often used to demand more lab time. I still remember that I'd run to computer lab by 7am and would still find few guys waiting outside for the lab to get opened and we used to stay there in lab till 9pm. Gen Y guys say that they never done any tiny tools and mini projects.





  • 1-2 years


    • They think that they have contributed more for their job and want to be appreciated. Some even think that they're the experts on the field. This is again a big change--earlier, people would feel that they're freshers when they're under 2-years experience.

    • Everybody feels that they're above of their colleagues.

    • Everybody has social and diplomatic skills. But, they don't keep good friendship with the colleagues.




  • 3-5 years


    • Most of the people feel bored with IT.

    • Even when there's no work pressure, majority feel so.

    • Most of the people want to change their domain.

    • Everybody wants to pursue agriculture. Not sure, if it's a media mayhem.

    • Everybody wants to return to their native in 5-years, to stay with their relatives.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Good observation. I agree to most of the points. Can you please list down the mentality of Gen X workforce Now?

Popular posts from this blog

Converting PSD with PHP/ImageMagick

After seeing feature rich options in Imagick PECL extension at Mikko Koppanen 's (the author) website and also impressed with ImageMagick 's features, I have decided to use it for the PSD to XHTML conversion website that I'm architecting and managing. Since, the team wants programming help for converting PSD images, I have tried it (documentation is sparse on PSD handling) Converting PSD to PNG/JPEG/etc Note that, flattenImages() is needed for layered/multi-page PSD file. <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->flattenImages(); $im->setImageFormat('png'); $im->writeImage('test.png'); ?> Extracting PSD layers One by one <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->setImageFormat('png'); for ($i = 0, $num_layers = $im->getNumberImages(); $i $im->setImageIndex($i); $im->writeImage('layer' . $i . '.png'); } ?> Note that, there is a better version below In a single call with writeIm...

Storing unicode texts in MySQL with phpMyAdmin

Today, I've received a personal mail/request from Sivanantham Hemamalini, working for IT leisure in Singapore. Since I was in company when received the mail, I couldn't answer immediately. If I understand the question right, it is about inputting Unicode texts especially Tamil in phpMyAdmin. PhpMyAdmin 's default characterset is iso-8859-1 and so if we enter anything in the form, browser will convert it into numerical html entities. Say for example, if we enter தமிà®´் and submit the form, it will convert it to & #2980;& #2990;& #3007;& #2996;& #3021; . Because of this browser's behavior, it will be difficult to store the Unicode text as it is. Solutions Immediate solution I could think of is changing or forcing the browser's character encoding into utf-8. In Mozilla Firefox, it can be set via View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8) Another elegant solution might be changing the phpMyAdmin configurations so that it send...

Beyond Groupon Now -- Street marketing platform in GroupDeal

Our team has developed GroupDeal, group buying software platform that powers many Groupon competitor sites. Being ours is the first and popular groupon clone in the market, our team introduced many new features. Like I already pointed out , we added self service merchant login in the first version itself and Groupon introduced the same feature--much later as Groupon 2.0. By August 2011, our team introduced another killer feature termed as "GroupDeal Live". It is more than Groupon's Groupon Now: It has street marketing ability. With it, merchants can create deals for the (sudden) crowd. By looking at merchant control panel, they can find the users around their shops and branches. The users are classified into Normal/Web Users and iPhone Users--and so, merchants can identify the new crowd. They can then create deals to attract the online crowd. The platform will be of huge help during any procession or sudden crowd in any branches. I hope, Groupon will adop...