Skip to main content

Open source PHP frameworks and problems

I was using CakePHP for sometime and proposed CakePlus, another UIMS toolkit on the top of CakePHP but also altering some problematic core of it. The thread should explain the outcome of the post. And, then I noted Akelos framework has most of the things built in.

Issues with frameworks esp. CakePHP



  • Scalability not a priority - Developers aren't aware that we can't throw more and more hardware

  • Excessive use of regular expressions

  • Evangelist isn't aware that the framework throws many queries unnecessarily

  • More memory consumption - 100M would never be enough for a simple project

  • Poor coding standards and practices - Prolong use of extract() often leads to more memory consumption

  • Can't use the native approaches or baked codes. The override approach always lead to hard to debug codes

  • Poor architected codes and no clear defined approaches. People belong to the cult drives the direction and often throws unprofiled codes. No native provision to share codes between M-V-C and no distinction between "libs" and "vendors".

  • Overlooked wrappers

  • Community - Only few are educated, majority overlook the common application features, some freelancers use it for networking and sycophancy to get jobs

  • Not actually open source



Update (2008-09-01): Follow-up

Comments

Unknown said…
Hold on there...how can you say that CakePHP is not Open Source? The source code is made freely available to anyone who wants it.

It seems to me that your real issue is that there is not unfettered commit access to the main repository for the project. This is true, but that does not mean that CakePHP is not Open Source.

I would love to see an example of an Open Source project that allows *anyone* to commit source code to the main repository that the project uses.

Note that I said MAIN REPOSITORY. I am well aware of how Linux kernel development uses Git.
Unknown said…
A suggestion...

When making statements like these you may want to give reasons and examples... otherwise it sounds like you're just bitching.

Most of what you are complaining about is typical of almost any open source project... someone has to maintain a common vision for the project. If you don't like the way they do things, fork the source code and make your own. If enough people like what you are doing the features will find their way back into the main branch.
Anonymous said…
Mozilla is able to serve up 4 million page views daily with CakePHP ( addons.mozilla.org ). I use CakePHP all the time and have not had problems scaling. I'd be impressed to see a web application built that can't use CakePHP because it is too big. Plus, if you have that big of an application than you should be able to afford the necessary hardware.
Bottom line is that cake saves money and development time.
Jeff Loiselle said…
Wow, you are a self-claiming PHP saint? You just sounds like a jackass.

CakePHP is open source. It's certainly faster than writing my own framework. Anything I don't like, I modify because I'm not an idiot. I am certainly not a poster boy. I use whatever technology I can to get the job done. And since it's open source, if it doesn't get the job done itself, I make it happen.

That's what makes me a programmer and you a complaining idiot.
Anonymous said…
cakephp IS open source.

about the community, everyone wants to help each other and its more active than others.

scaling cant be a issue with cakephp. otherwise mozilla addons site would have crashed long since.

very few frameworks have been able to maintain the quality cakephp has even with php4. thus giving developers more flexibility.

Popular posts from this blog

Converting PSD with PHP/ImageMagick

After seeing feature rich options in Imagick PECL extension at Mikko Koppanen 's (the author) website and also impressed with ImageMagick 's features, I have decided to use it for the PSD to XHTML conversion website that I'm architecting and managing. Since, the team wants programming help for converting PSD images, I have tried it (documentation is sparse on PSD handling) Converting PSD to PNG/JPEG/etc Note that, flattenImages() is needed for layered/multi-page PSD file. <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->flattenImages(); $im->setImageFormat('png'); $im->writeImage('test.png'); ?> Extracting PSD layers One by one <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->setImageFormat('png'); for ($i = 0, $num_layers = $im->getNumberImages(); $i $im->setImageIndex($i); $im->writeImage('layer' . $i . '.png'); } ?> Note that, there is a better version below In a single call with writeIm...

Storing unicode texts in MySQL with phpMyAdmin

Today, I've received a personal mail/request from Sivanantham Hemamalini, working for IT leisure in Singapore. Since I was in company when received the mail, I couldn't answer immediately. If I understand the question right, it is about inputting Unicode texts especially Tamil in phpMyAdmin. PhpMyAdmin 's default characterset is iso-8859-1 and so if we enter anything in the form, browser will convert it into numerical html entities. Say for example, if we enter தமிà®´் and submit the form, it will convert it to & #2980;& #2990;& #3007;& #2996;& #3021; . Because of this browser's behavior, it will be difficult to store the Unicode text as it is. Solutions Immediate solution I could think of is changing or forcing the browser's character encoding into utf-8. In Mozilla Firefox, it can be set via View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8) Another elegant solution might be changing the phpMyAdmin configurations so that it send...

Beyond Groupon Now -- Street marketing platform in GroupDeal

Our team has developed GroupDeal, group buying software platform that powers many Groupon competitor sites. Being ours is the first and popular groupon clone in the market, our team introduced many new features. Like I already pointed out , we added self service merchant login in the first version itself and Groupon introduced the same feature--much later as Groupon 2.0. By August 2011, our team introduced another killer feature termed as "GroupDeal Live". It is more than Groupon's Groupon Now: It has street marketing ability. With it, merchants can create deals for the (sudden) crowd. By looking at merchant control panel, they can find the users around their shops and branches. The users are classified into Normal/Web Users and iPhone Users--and so, merchants can identify the new crowd. They can then create deals to attract the online crowd. The platform will be of huge help during any procession or sudden crowd in any branches. I hope, Groupon will adop...