Skip to main content

Why Google PR is quirky -- Google PR bug

Recently I have been informed that the PageRank provided by pagerankstatus, a Firefox extension is different from official Google Toolbar. Since, I have been slightly involved with the development of this extension, I have studied the reason behind it.

Example
Target site: http://benmccann.com/
Pagerankstatus's PR: 4
Official Google Toolbar's PR: 0
Reason: Google's bug
Analysis

Pagerankstatus

What pagerankstatus requests: ...features=Rank:FVN...
What Google returns: Rank_1:1:4
Official Google Toolbar (IE)
What Google Toolbar requests: ...features=Rank:...
What Google returns: Rank_1:1:0
Official Google Toolbar (FF)
What Google Toolbar requests: ...features=Rank...
What Google returns: Rank_1:1:0
Google info XML file: ...info:...
PR inside XML file: 4 (
This might be the right PR. Same as of pagerankstatus.)

Conclusion (Google bug)

Official Google Toolbar has downgraded the category/directory option; that's why now not sending "FVN" as "FVN" is for category. But, Google is supposed to return same PR for "Rank:FVN" and "Rank:", but returning different results. Let's hope, Google will fix this bug soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Zend (PHP 5) Certified Engineer:-)

As of January 13, 2007, I'm ZCE/ Zend Certified Engineer (PHP 5)

Work avoiders on the rise

roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes --  80–20 rule / Pareto principle One popular store (that is known for its less selling price, 6-storied air-conditioned showroom) is situated to close to our home. But, Heleena is allergic to it. Reason? Even though there are at least 50 sales people per floor, only 1 or 2 people will be working and responding to the customers' queries. In another shop, I even noticed that the owner was serving customer when many staffs were cleverly avoiding the show! I'm finding the same problem everywhere. Who're affected here? Obviously the people who're actually working--they will have to handle more work that the clever people have avoided. Two common gestures/characteristics I have noted in these clever people: 1. They'll pretend to be absolute ignorant (These people's agenda are merely to avoid works, but not to take credits.), 2. They'll create politics on anything (These people's agenda ar...

Stampede and the "Dirty" "Dark" Crowd

Actor Ajith Kumar’s recent interview has sparked quite a few conversations on social media. The part that caught my attention, was his take on crowds. About 30 years ago, when I first joined a college in Madurai after growing up in other places, I experienced a few cultural shocks. Perhaps these weren’t unique to Madurai, but that’s where I first noticed them. One major thing that stood out was the behavior of crowds. For instance, if you suddenly see people rushing to board a bus, chances are there’s a pickpocket in action. During one of Madurai's annual festivals, I noticed some young men carrying water bags — not to distribute water, but to spill it on women, often on their chests. Shockingly, this was almost normalized; parents would quietly tolerate it to avoid public embarrassment, walking a little farther behind the crowd. When some women happened to witness this, they would just shoo the boys away instead of confronting them. The crowd, in such cases, became a kind of...