Skip to main content

Beware of Chennai Book Fair crime - mobile theft

Unfortunately, lost my iPhone 4 that was gifted my boss on Jan 9, 2011 (Sunday) at the Chennai Book Fair held at St.George Anglo Indian School (Opp to Pachayappan college, Poonamalee High Road, Aminjikarai, Chennai - 600 030).

When I visited T.P.Chatram Police Station to file the complaint, I have noted about 20 mobile theft complaint from the visitors of the book fair! So, there is a big chance that a mob is targeting the book fair. Beware!

Steps to be taken (general guideline)



  1. Try to reach the mobile from other phone (to confirm if it's been stolen)

  2. File a complaint with nearest police station

  3. Deactivate your lost SIM with the operator, especially if it's a post paid connection.



Things to be mentioned in police complaint



  1. Handset model

  2. IMEI

  3. Cost of the mobile

  4. Last used SIM (mobile number)

  5. Date and time of loss

  6. Place of loss

  7. Alternate contact details (if the phone is recovered)



Have to receive the CSR (Complaint Statement Receipt(?)) as a receipt.

Chennai city police helplines



  • 9840983832 - Call center polices seem to be more helpful and kind

  • Chennai - Online Complaint - Online facility to file complaints. Personally I feel that even if the complaint is filed at the police station, it's better to file with a note at here. This may hopefully avoid any kind of typo. For the sake of record, when I tried it, the form was silently failing and after hectic try noted that it doesn't accept lengthy subject!

Comments

parthasarathy mani said…
Hello Boss... your suggestion was very useful to me. My name is Parthasarathy Mani mob: 9840407696. I lost my Nokia N 97 mobile today (16th Jan 2011). I have registered a complaint with Pallavaram police station. I approached Univercell for claiming theft insurance. I will definitely know what is happening with me. If your interested let me know your mobile / email id
parthasarathy mani

Thanks for your comments. Since you had insurance for your mobile, CSR is enough to claim insurance amount. Unfortunately, I didn't have insurance for the iPhone.
Unknown said…
So did you find your mobile? I lost mine too.In SRM university. The police are helpless. I tried so many ways to trace it. In vain

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Zend (PHP 5) Certified Engineer:-)

As of January 13, 2007, I'm ZCE/ Zend Certified Engineer (PHP 5)

Attraction, Status, and the Curious Pattern Behind Some Marriages

There has been a lot of discussion lately about celebrity divorces. As someone who closely observes human behavior, I have been thinking about a possible pattern behind some relationships. Before explaining my thought, I should mention something about my own background. From childhood, I was never particularly drawn to the idea of physical beauty. In fact, I even had a somewhat negative view of it. This may have come from the value systems around me while growing up. I also remember a religious gathering where someone said that a woman's beauty reflects her inner mind. Even at that time, I instinctively rejected that idea. Over the years, however, I have started noticing certain patterns in couples. When couples walk closely together, sit near each other, and interact affectionately in public, there often seems to be an interesting dynamic. In many such cases, the woman appears more attractive than the man. Sometimes she also seems more powerful in...

Stampede and the "Dirty" "Dark" Crowd

Actor Ajith Kumar’s recent interview has sparked quite a few conversations on social media. The part that caught my attention, was his take on crowds. About 30 years ago, when I first joined a college in Madurai after growing up in other places, I experienced a few cultural shocks. Perhaps these weren’t unique to Madurai, but that’s where I first noticed them. One major thing that stood out was the behavior of crowds. For instance, if you suddenly see people rushing to board a bus, chances are there’s a pickpocket in action. During one of Madurai's annual festivals, I noticed some young men carrying water bags — not to distribute water, but to spill it on women, often on their chests. Shockingly, this was almost normalized; parents would quietly tolerate it to avoid public embarrassment, walking a little farther behind the crowd. When some women happened to witness this, they would just shoo the boys away instead of confronting them. The crowd, in such cases, became a kind of...