When I visited T.P.Chatram Police Station to file the complaint, I have noted about 20 mobile theft complaint from the visitors of the book fair! So, there is a big chance that a mob is targeting the book fair. Beware!
Steps to be taken (general guideline)
- Try to reach the mobile from other phone (to confirm if it's been stolen)
- File a complaint with nearest police station
- Deactivate your lost SIM with the operator, especially if it's a post paid connection.
Things to be mentioned in police complaint
- Handset model
- Cost of the mobile
- Last used SIM (mobile number)
- Date and time of loss
- Place of loss
- Alternate contact details (if the phone is recovered)
Have to receive the CSR (Complaint Statement Receipt(?)) as a receipt.
Chennai city police helplines
- 9840983832 - Call center polices seem to be more helpful and kind
- Chennai - Online Complaint - Online facility to file complaints. Personally I feel that even if the complaint is filed at the police station, it's better to file with a note at here. This may hopefully avoid any kind of typo. For the sake of record, when I tried it, the form was silently failing and after hectic try noted that it doesn't accept lengthy subject!