Skip to main content

Getting Deer Park Alpha 1 extensions

I've finally decided to test Mozilla Deer Park Alpha 1 (Firefox 1.1a1). The browser is really cool. They've changed the icon/logo--this is sometimes confusing. Apart from that, the major problem is incompatibility with existing extensions--which can mostly be solved by bumping targetApplication's maxVersion.

I did bumping for few extensions, but finally decided to search for a bit. Interestingly I found few wonderful resources; the best among is 'Unarmed' of mozillaZine forum's PHP script and his online service. The online bumping service is really great; it gets the URL of the extension and the version to be applied in the GET and gives you the bumped/hacked extension. Many extensions worked well--including the popular Web Developer / Webdeveloper extension ; sadly the HTML Validator extension didn't work even after bumping.

Having heavily inspired by the online bumping service, I have written a bookmarklet to access the service. I think the PHP script can be improved especially to handle redirect with CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION. Anyway, it's a nice idea that PHP is used for repackaging XPI; that is to unpack/unzip the XPI files using PEAR Archive_Zip, fix the maxVersion in install.rdf and then packing/zipping it.

Bookmarklet

Links

Comments

Anonymous said…
I believe the icon is just for nightly, alpha and beta builds. So expect the icon to revert to its former self in the final 1.5 version.
Joel Kitching:

Thanks for the info. Anyway, now I'm used up with Deer Park Alpha icons:)
Anonymous said…
Those people at google sure are nasty when it comes to version checks. I've tried every possible way I could find, but still haven't been able to get the new google toolbar working under Deer Park...

Popular posts from this blog

Converting PSD with PHP/ImageMagick

After seeing feature rich options in Imagick PECL extension at Mikko Koppanen 's (the author) website and also impressed with ImageMagick 's features, I have decided to use it for the PSD to XHTML conversion website that I'm architecting and managing. Since, the team wants programming help for converting PSD images, I have tried it (documentation is sparse on PSD handling) Converting PSD to PNG/JPEG/etc Note that, flattenImages() is needed for layered/multi-page PSD file. <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->flattenImages(); $im->setImageFormat('png'); $im->writeImage('test.png'); ?> Extracting PSD layers One by one <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->setImageFormat('png'); for ($i = 0, $num_layers = $im->getNumberImages(); $i $im->setImageIndex($i); $im->writeImage('layer' . $i . '.png'); } ?> Note that, there is a better version below In a single call with writeIm...

Storing unicode texts in MySQL with phpMyAdmin

Today, I've received a personal mail/request from Sivanantham Hemamalini, working for IT leisure in Singapore. Since I was in company when received the mail, I couldn't answer immediately. If I understand the question right, it is about inputting Unicode texts especially Tamil in phpMyAdmin. PhpMyAdmin 's default characterset is iso-8859-1 and so if we enter anything in the form, browser will convert it into numerical html entities. Say for example, if we enter தமிà®´் and submit the form, it will convert it to & #2980;& #2990;& #3007;& #2996;& #3021; . Because of this browser's behavior, it will be difficult to store the Unicode text as it is. Solutions Immediate solution I could think of is changing or forcing the browser's character encoding into utf-8. In Mozilla Firefox, it can be set via View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8) Another elegant solution might be changing the phpMyAdmin configurations so that it send...

Beyond Groupon Now -- Street marketing platform in GroupDeal

Our team has developed GroupDeal, group buying software platform that powers many Groupon competitor sites. Being ours is the first and popular groupon clone in the market, our team introduced many new features. Like I already pointed out , we added self service merchant login in the first version itself and Groupon introduced the same feature--much later as Groupon 2.0. By August 2011, our team introduced another killer feature termed as "GroupDeal Live". It is more than Groupon's Groupon Now: It has street marketing ability. With it, merchants can create deals for the (sudden) crowd. By looking at merchant control panel, they can find the users around their shops and branches. The users are classified into Normal/Web Users and iPhone Users--and so, merchants can identify the new crowd. They can then create deals to attract the online crowd. The platform will be of huge help during any procession or sudden crowd in any branches. I hope, Groupon will adop...