Skip to main content

Interview question #2

This is related to PHP's array.

An array has number of elements. All elements are integers and unique, which means there is no repetitive integers.
(e.g.) $foo = array(7, 5, 9, 13, 2, 8);

You have to sort the array, provided:
  1. You should scan the elements only once.
  2. You're not allowed to compare the elements when sorting. (i.e., you're not supposed to use any comparison operators)
  3. Sorted resultant array may not be the source array.
How will you do that?

Comments

Anonymous said…
$foo = array(7, 5, 9, 13, 2, 8);

reset($foo);

$bar = array();
$barcount = 0;
while ($foo <> array()) {
$bartemp = min($foo);
$bar[$barcount] = $bartemp;
unset($foo[array_search($bartemp, $foo)]);
$barcount++;
}
print_r($foo); //empty
echo "\n";
print_r($bar); //sorted!
?>


Result:
$foo is Array
(
)

$bar is Array
(
[0] => 2
[1] => 5
[2] => 7
[3] => 8
[4] => 9
[5] => 13
)
Anonymous said…
$bar = $foo;
sort($bar);
reset($bar);
print_r($bar);
For comment#1:You are using min() which is again a comparison function. The answer is not that complex at all.

For comment#2:Are you kidding;)
Anonymous said…
http://us4.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.comparison.php
For comment#4:I meant that you're not allowed to compare the elements in anyway (using operators or functions). Probably I should have worded it better.
Anonymous said…
##Deadeasy##

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond Groupon Now -- Street marketing platform in GroupDeal

Our team has developed GroupDeal, group buying software platform that powers many Groupon competitor sites. Being ours is the first and popular groupon clone in the market, our team introduced many new features. Like I already pointed out , we added self service merchant login in the first version itself and Groupon introduced the same feature--much later as Groupon 2.0. By August 2011, our team introduced another killer feature termed as "GroupDeal Live". It is more than Groupon's Groupon Now: It has street marketing ability. With it, merchants can create deals for the (sudden) crowd. By looking at merchant control panel, they can find the users around their shops and branches. The users are classified into Normal/Web Users and iPhone Users--and so, merchants can identify the new crowd. They can then create deals to attract the online crowd. The platform will be of huge help during any procession or sudden crowd in any branches. I hope, Groupon will adop...

Work avoiders on the rise

roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes --  80–20 rule / Pareto principle One popular store (that is known for its less selling price, 6-storied air-conditioned showroom) is situated to close to our home. But, Heleena is allergic to it. Reason? Even though there are at least 50 sales people per floor, only 1 or 2 people will be working and responding to the customers' queries. In another shop, I even noticed that the owner was serving customer when many staffs were cleverly avoiding the show! I'm finding the same problem everywhere. Who're affected here? Obviously the people who're actually working--they will have to handle more work that the clever people have avoided. Two common gestures/characteristics I have noted in these clever people: 1. They'll pretend to be absolute ignorant (These people's agenda are merely to avoid works, but not to take credits.), 2. They'll create politics on anything (These people's agenda ar...

Google used PHP?

I wanted to know what are the pages in Google are powered by PHP . I have tried various keywords including "inurl"--but it produced huge list. So I tried "filetype:php" and it worked very nice. The real keywords are php filetype:php site:google.com Google used PHP?