Skip to main content

Attraction, Status, and the Curious Pattern Behind Some Marriages

There has been a lot of discussion lately about celebrity divorces. As someone who closely observes human behavior, I have been thinking about a possible pattern behind some relationships.

Before explaining my thought, I should mention something about my own background. From childhood, I was never particularly drawn to the idea of physical beauty. In fact, I even had a somewhat negative view of it. This may have come from the value systems around me while growing up. I also remember a religious gathering where someone said that a woman's beauty reflects her inner mind. Even at that time, I instinctively rejected that idea.

Over the years, however, I have started noticing certain patterns in couples. When couples walk closely together, sit near each other, and interact affectionately in public, there often seems to be an interesting dynamic. In many such cases, the woman appears more attractive than the man. Sometimes she also seems more powerful in terms of wealth or social status.

In other words, when the man appears to be less attractive or of lower status, the emotional bond from the woman often seems deeper or more visible.

This observation made me think about celebrity divorces. When the husband is the bigger celebrity—the creative force or the more famous figure--it is often the wife who eventually initiates the divorce, even after decades of marriage.

When we compare these cases with other celebrity couples who remain together, a different pattern sometimes appears. In those relationships, the husband may seem less attractive or less creatively prominent than his wife.

This leads to a speculative thought: perhaps relationships sometimes feel more stable when the man is perceived as less dominant in status or attractiveness. On the other hand, highly creative or highly successful men might unintentionally be perceived as intimidating or threatening in the long run.

It raises an interesting possibility: could it be that, in some cases, the discomfort exists from the beginning, and the relationship continues until a suitable reason for separation eventually appears?



Disclosure:

The following ChatGPT prompt is used in this blog post:

Please fix the language of the below text and highlight the changes in bold:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Zend (PHP 5) Certified Engineer:-)

As of January 13, 2007, I'm ZCE/ Zend Certified Engineer (PHP 5)

Work avoiders on the rise

roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes --  80–20 rule / Pareto principle One popular store (that is known for its less selling price, 6-storied air-conditioned showroom) is situated to close to our home. But, Heleena is allergic to it. Reason? Even though there are at least 50 sales people per floor, only 1 or 2 people will be working and responding to the customers' queries. In another shop, I even noticed that the owner was serving customer when many staffs were cleverly avoiding the show! I'm finding the same problem everywhere. Who're affected here? Obviously the people who're actually working--they will have to handle more work that the clever people have avoided. Two common gestures/characteristics I have noted in these clever people: 1. They'll pretend to be absolute ignorant (These people's agenda are merely to avoid works, but not to take credits.), 2. They'll create politics on anything (These people's agenda ar...

Stampede and the "Dirty" "Dark" Crowd

Actor Ajith Kumar’s recent interview has sparked quite a few conversations on social media. The part that caught my attention, was his take on crowds. About 30 years ago, when I first joined a college in Madurai after growing up in other places, I experienced a few cultural shocks. Perhaps these weren’t unique to Madurai, but that’s where I first noticed them. One major thing that stood out was the behavior of crowds. For instance, if you suddenly see people rushing to board a bus, chances are there’s a pickpocket in action. During one of Madurai's annual festivals, I noticed some young men carrying water bags — not to distribute water, but to spill it on women, often on their chests. Shockingly, this was almost normalized; parents would quietly tolerate it to avoid public embarrassment, walking a little farther behind the crowd. When some women happened to witness this, they would just shoo the boys away instead of confronting them. The crowd, in such cases, became a kind of...