Skip to main content

Vodafone India privacy problem: exposes phone numbers

Vodafone India is exposing website surfer/user's phone number to the partner website when using mobile data plan. It might be offering hidden API to those partner websites to uniquely identify users. I have noticed it around 1-year before, thought about blogging, but forgot it at that time. Now, I have got some time and so thought of explaining the issue.

How I noticed the issue?

Sometime ago, I've bought SanDisk microSD card. In the wrapper, they've mentioned about some offer about hungama (Still available in SanDisk website at www.sandisk.in/campaign/landing/hungama/offer_three). The URL mentioned was offers.hungama.com/sandisk3/ and when I opened that in my mobile browser, it was prompting with Welcome, 91-98XXXXXXXX.
Phone number leaked by Vodafone India


I was shocked as I never seen anything like that before. So, I immediately opened the same URL in my desktop browser and got completely different page:
Desktop version of the same page

And, again I tried to open the same page in mobile browser with Wi-Fi alone (by disabling Mobile Data), and now also they couldn't identify my mobile number. So, I realized that it might be something to do with the network (Vodafone). Initially I thought that they may be decoding the phone number from IP address. So, I asked Heleena (my wife) to figure out some pattern for that. Then it turn out that there is no definite pattern. I have also analyzed HTTP headers when browsing through Vodafone internet. Then, realized that hungama might be utilizing some hidden API from Vodafone to decode user's IP to mobile number.

Privacy Issue


At least for me, this looks like a serious privacy issue. hungama at least openly exposes the phone number to users, so that users can know that hungama can read their numbers/identity. But, there may be many sites--especially many social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc may still be uniquely identifying users without revealing it at all. 

Comments

Ohmkumar said…
Hi Rajesh,
Welcome back :)

Hope you agree, nothing is private in online...

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond Groupon Now -- Street marketing platform in GroupDeal

Our team has developed GroupDeal, group buying software platform that powers many Groupon competitor sites. Being ours is the first and popular groupon clone in the market, our team introduced many new features. Like I already pointed out , we added self service merchant login in the first version itself and Groupon introduced the same feature--much later as Groupon 2.0. By August 2011, our team introduced another killer feature termed as "GroupDeal Live". It is more than Groupon's Groupon Now: It has street marketing ability. With it, merchants can create deals for the (sudden) crowd. By looking at merchant control panel, they can find the users around their shops and branches. The users are classified into Normal/Web Users and iPhone Users--and so, merchants can identify the new crowd. They can then create deals to attract the online crowd. The platform will be of huge help during any procession or sudden crowd in any branches. I hope, Groupon will adop...

Work avoiders on the rise

roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes --  80–20 rule / Pareto principle One popular store (that is known for its less selling price, 6-storied air-conditioned showroom) is situated to close to our home. But, Heleena is allergic to it. Reason? Even though there are at least 50 sales people per floor, only 1 or 2 people will be working and responding to the customers' queries. In another shop, I even noticed that the owner was serving customer when many staffs were cleverly avoiding the show! I'm finding the same problem everywhere. Who're affected here? Obviously the people who're actually working--they will have to handle more work that the clever people have avoided. Two common gestures/characteristics I have noted in these clever people: 1. They'll pretend to be absolute ignorant (These people's agenda are merely to avoid works, but not to take credits.), 2. They'll create politics on anything (These people's agenda ar...

Google used PHP?

I wanted to know what are the pages in Google are powered by PHP . I have tried various keywords including "inurl"--but it produced huge list. So I tried "filetype:php" and it worked very nice. The real keywords are php filetype:php site:google.com Google used PHP?