Skip to main content

Who is S.P. Udayakumar, (Koodankulam anti-nuclear) activist of the year


I greatly admired S.P. Udayakumar  (Koodankulam anti-nuclear activist) for his calm and composed response; it is usually not easy to reply moronic Narayanasamy and moronic Ponraj (advisor of Abdul Kalam) who're always blabbering irrationally. By wrongly judging from his sober and humble look, I'd thought that he's an illiterate villager from Koodankulam. But, recently I came to know that he's studied in USA and worked as a professor there. My respect for him greatly increased when I compared him with other exhibitionist NRIs.

Here are the details that I collected...

Name: S.P. Udayakumar
Age: 50
Native: Nagercoil
Family: Wife Meera running SACCER primary and middle school, 2-sons

Education

  • M.A. (Peace Studies) from Notre Dame University in the United States (1990)
  • Ph.D. (Political Science) from the University of Hawaii (1996)

(Past) Occupation 

  • Research fellow at Kirwan Institute
  • Professor at Governor's School of Public Issues and the Future of New Jersey at Monmouth University
  • India-Pakistan Reconciliation School, a free on-line course (2001)
  • Director of TRANSCEND South Asia, the world's first on-line peace university

Activism

  • Co-founded the Green Party of India (2000)
  • Member of World Futures Studies Federation
  • Member of the International Peace Research Association
  • Editorial member of Journal of Futures Studies
  • Koodankulam anti-nuclear movement

Links


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Converting PSD with PHP/ImageMagick

After seeing feature rich options in Imagick PECL extension at Mikko Koppanen 's (the author) website and also impressed with ImageMagick 's features, I have decided to use it for the PSD to XHTML conversion website that I'm architecting and managing. Since, the team wants programming help for converting PSD images, I have tried it (documentation is sparse on PSD handling) Converting PSD to PNG/JPEG/etc Note that, flattenImages() is needed for layered/multi-page PSD file. <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->flattenImages(); $im->setImageFormat('png'); $im->writeImage('test.png'); ?> Extracting PSD layers One by one <?php $im = new Imagick('test.psd'); $im->setImageFormat('png'); for ($i = 0, $num_layers = $im->getNumberImages(); $i $im->setImageIndex($i); $im->writeImage('layer' . $i . '.png'); } ?> Note that, there is a better version below In a single call with writeIm...

Storing unicode texts in MySQL with phpMyAdmin

Today, I've received a personal mail/request from Sivanantham Hemamalini, working for IT leisure in Singapore. Since I was in company when received the mail, I couldn't answer immediately. If I understand the question right, it is about inputting Unicode texts especially Tamil in phpMyAdmin. PhpMyAdmin 's default characterset is iso-8859-1 and so if we enter anything in the form, browser will convert it into numerical html entities. Say for example, if we enter தமிழ் and submit the form, it will convert it to & #2980;& #2990;& #3007;& #2996;& #3021; . Because of this browser's behavior, it will be difficult to store the Unicode text as it is. Solutions Immediate solution I could think of is changing or forcing the browser's character encoding into utf-8. In Mozilla Firefox, it can be set via View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8) Another elegant solution might be changing the phpMyAdmin configurations so that it send...

Beyond Groupon Now -- Street marketing platform in GroupDeal

Our team has developed GroupDeal, group buying software platform that powers many Groupon competitor sites. Being ours is the first and popular groupon clone in the market, our team introduced many new features. Like I already pointed out , we added self service merchant login in the first version itself and Groupon introduced the same feature--much later as Groupon 2.0. By August 2011, our team introduced another killer feature termed as "GroupDeal Live". It is more than Groupon's Groupon Now: It has street marketing ability. With it, merchants can create deals for the (sudden) crowd. By looking at merchant control panel, they can find the users around their shops and branches. The users are classified into Normal/Web Users and iPhone Users--and so, merchants can identify the new crowd. They can then create deals to attract the online crowd. The platform will be of huge help during any procession or sudden crowd in any branches. I hope, Groupon will adop...