I did bumping for few extensions, but finally decided to search for a bit. Interestingly I found few wonderful resources; the best among is 'Unarmed' of mozillaZine forum's PHP script and his online service. The online bumping service is really great; it gets the URL of the extension and the version to be applied in the GET and gives you the bumped/hacked extension. Many extensions worked well--including the popular Web Developer / Webdeveloper extension ; sadly the HTML Validator extension didn't work even after bumping.
Having heavily inspired by the online bumping service, I have written a bookmarklet to access the service. I think the PHP script can be improved especially to handle redirect with CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION. Anyway, it's a nice idea that PHP is used for repackaging XPI; that is to unpack/unzip the XPI files using PEAR Archive_Zip, fix the maxVersion in install.rdf and then packing/zipping it.
- Bump Extension (using online bumping service)
- Online bumping service and PHP source code
- Hacked Web Developer extension using on the fly online bumping service
- PEAR Archive_Zip (Released/available source)
- Hacked extensions listing
- mozillaZine discussions on compatible Deer Park Alpha 1 extensions