Characteristics of Gen Y (as I noted)
- Everybody owns mobile phones and laptop. At least using them for 2-years. Only very few people know touch typing.
- Almost all are interested to start their career in programming; but they don't have any basic knowledge.
- Most of the people can speak in English. I'm noticing a huge change here; In our generation, many people would be having good programming skill but can't express them in English
- People from CS aka Computer Science background says that they don't use computer labs as they own laptop. I can remember my college days at The American College, Madurai during my PGDCA and MCA--we often used to demand more lab time. I still remember that I'd run to computer lab by 7am and would still find few guys waiting outside for the lab to get opened and we used to stay there in lab till 9pm. Gen Y guys say that they never done any tiny tools and mini projects.
- They think that they have contributed more for their job and want to be appreciated. Some even think that they're the experts on the field. This is again a big change--earlier, people would feel that they're freshers when they're under 2-years experience.
- Everybody feels that they're above of their colleagues.
- Everybody has social and diplomatic skills. But, they don't keep good friendship with the colleagues.
- Most of the people feel bored with IT.
- Even when there's no work pressure, majority feel so.
- Most of the people want to change their domain.
- Everybody wants to pursue agriculture. Not sure, if it's a media mayhem.
- Everybody wants to return to their native in 5-years, to stay with their relatives.